Egg nog preparation
Lots of people don’t like eggnog and then there are those with the energy to make their own from scratch. For those of us in between, here’s my favorite preparation so far. (Though experiments continue.)
- Put a mix of half brandy and half sweet whiskey such as Maker’s Mark in the bottom of the glass. How much alcohol is up to you.
- Add a pinch of decent Pumpkin Pie Spice (I use Trader Joe’s). This is better than just nutmeg.
- Add a little bit of good vanilla extract, not too much, maybe half a teaspoon or something.
- Stir the pie spice in well with the alcohol. Putting the spice in the alcohol avoids clumps and extracts flavor.
- Fill the rest of the glass with cold Organic Valley Eggnog or another one you know is good. Do not buy the only shelf stable eggnog on the market today, for example.
- Stir to mix alcohol and nog.
- Place in freezer for 15 minutes or so.
- Stir again.
If you don’t like that, then
Since eggnog is roughly ice custard that hasn’t been frozen, it’s also acceptable to just dump liquor in a milkshake.